Trustee Development 07-19-17 Agenda & Minutes

Trustee Development 07-19-17 Agenda & Minutes

BIN Home | Create/Edit

< Back
image_pdfView PDFimage_printPrint Article

Agenda

BCCLS

Trustee Development Committee

July 19, 2017

Livingston, NJ

Agenda: Trustee Development Committee

  • Approval of March Minutes
  • Phone conversation about advocacy training with Libby Post
  • Discuss program choices.
  • Status of current NJLA legislative initiatives
  • Discuss ideas to contribute to advocacy toolkit in conjunction with Government Relations and Public Policy Committee (GRAPPCOM) and PR committee.

Next meeting: with GRAPPCOM at BCCLS headquarters August 18th at 10AM.

MINUTES

TRUSTEE DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE

WEDNESDAY, JULY 19, 2017 – 1:00 PM

LIVINGSTON PUBLIC LIBRARY

ATTENDING:  Dave Cubie (co-chair and Director, West Orange) and Tom Madru (co-chair and Trustee, Park Ridge), Larry Bergmann (Trustee, Livingston), Peter Wendrychowicz (Trustee, Mahwah), Mike Banick (Director, Millburn), Lynn Kloss (Friends, Teaneck) and Darlene Swistock (Liaison, BCCLS).

ABSENT:  Patty Durso (Executive Administrator, Allendale).

WELCOME

Dave and Tom welcomed everyone to the third meeting of the Trustee Development Committee at 1:05 pm.

APPROVAL OF PRIOR MEETING MINUTES – MARCH 2, 2017

It was moved by Mike and seconded by Larry to accept the minutes as written.  No further discussion.

PHONE CONVERSATION ABOUT ADVOCACY TRAIING WITH LIBBY POST

Tom arranged a conference call with Libby Post, based in Albany, NY, to discuss advocacy training for our member libraries.  Libby asked who would attend our advocacy training.  Tom provided a brief background about BCCLS and advised that we wanted to encourage trustees to engage in their libraries.  Libby asked if we needed assistance to guide them in securing funding on a local level and construction (yes).  Peter also mentioned trying to increase the 1/3 mill appropriation.  Libby advised that she can train trustees on state advocacy.  Dave noted that we were envisioning a 90-minute overview for our 76-member libraries and Peter also mentioned follow-up with individual libraries and their trustees.  Since we do not have an overall strategy yet, we are interested in a general advocacy workshop that focuses on funding and community support.  Libby talked about reaching out to non-profit leaders, branding and marketing to encourage “library chatter” and motivating communities to support their libraries.  The fee would be $1,000 plus travel expenses for one 90-minute workshop or $1,500 for the same workshop presented twice while she is here.  Tentative dates are October 18 and October 19.  Larry confirmed that Livingston is able to host in the evening of October 18 and during the day on October 19.  Darlene will check with libraries located in northern Bergen County to find a host for the second session.  If possible, classroom seating is preferred.  Dave asked if she could share a copy of her advocacy toolkit and she will send it to Tom. 

To do for Libby:

  • Confirm date(s).
  • Confirm location(s).
  • Advise number of people expected to attend so she can create packets.
  • Determine advocacy issues.  She suggested using Survey Monkey to ask what 3 questions attendees would like answered during the workshop. 

The survey will be sent to Directors asking them to forward it to their trustees since we do not have a list of all trustees and their e-mail addresses.  Tom will ask Libby if she prefers individual survey responses or a combined response from each library.  Should we have the responses go directly to Libby or someone on the committee and then the raw data can be exported into a spreadsheet and shared with Libby in that format?  Peter suggested asking attendees to submit their questions ahead of time as that worked well at last year’s trustee workshop. 

What is the Trustee Development Committee’s definition of advocacy to be included in the survey?

  • Fundraising
  • Community Outreach
  • Networking with elected officials
  • Other

DISCUSS PROGRAM CHOICES

See above

STATUS OF CURRENT NJLA LEGISLATIVE INITIATIVES

  • The NJ Library Construction Bond Act (A-222/S-2171) was passed by the Senate and Assembly and is now with Governor Christie.
  • The Johnson Bill is next on the list.
  • Per capita state aid is also next on the list.

DISCUSS IDEAS TO CONTRIBUTE TO ADVOCACY TOOL KIT IN CONJUNCTION WITH GOVERNMENT RELATIONS & PUBLIC POLICY AND PUBLIC RELATIONS COMMITTEES

TBD

NEXT MEETING

Friday, August 18 with GR&PP @ BCCLS Office (Hackensack).

ADJOURNMENT

It was moved by Dave and seconded by Tom to adjourn the meeting at 2:55 pm.  After the meeting, Larry offered a tour of his library for the committee members who were visiting for the first time.  Livingston renovated their library about 10 years ago and the construction money came from the first state grant for library construction.  The town was required to match some of the money, and money for the interior furnishings was raised by the library during a capital campaign.

dms:  7/22/17