TRUSTEE DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
September 25, 2020 – 10:00AM
Conducted via Webex Event
Present: Mike Banick (Director, Millburn), Larry Bergmann (Trustee, Livingston), Patricia Durso (Executive Administrator, Allendale & committee co-chair), Tom Madru (Trustee, Park Ridge & committee co-chair), John Mongelli (Trustee, Ho-Ho-Kus), Mike Violano (Trustee, Westwood), Darlene Swistock (BCCLS Liaison), Dave Hanson, Executive Director, BCCLS, Eric Lozaukas, BCCLS)
Absent: Kathy Cannarozzi (Director, Rochelle Park), Jenifer May (Director, Secaucus), Peter Wendrychowicz (Trustee, Mahwah)
- Call to Order:
The meeting was called to order at 10:04 AM by Mr. Madru
- Approval of Minutes from Previous Meeting
Mr. Mongelli made a motion to approve the minutes of the September 4th meeting. Mr. Madru seconded the motion. The minutes were approved as presented.
- Old Business:
- Mr. Lozaukas gave an overview of how Webex would work for the October 1st program,
- We decided to use Webex Events as the program platform. Mr. Lozaukas will be the program host.
- All the presenters will be signed in as PANELISTS.
- We decided to use the Q&A function to handle attendee questions. Mr. Madru will monitor the Q&A box and will determine if the question can be answered immediately, or held until Q&A at the end of the presentations.
- Attendees will be required to sign into the session by providing their name and email address. They may also provide their library, but that won’t be required.
- Ms. Swistock informed us we currently have about 50 registrants.
- Anyone wishing to provide any slides or their picture must provide them to Ms. Durso, by today. Ms. Durso will put all slides into one Powerpoint presentation and will forward them to Mr. Lozaukas to be uploaded into the event.
- Mr. Hanson will advance the slides during the presentation.
- Ms. Durso presented a review of the presenters and their topics.
1-Ms. Durso will open the program and then introduce Mr. Wendrychowicz
2-Role of the Trustee-Mr. Wendrychowicz
4-Funding above 1/3 mil, state money, donations-Mr. Madru
5-Combine How to run a meeting, continuing education and attorney information-Mr. Bergmann
6-Basic Strategic Planning-Mr.Violano
7-Community Outreach and Relationships with stakeholders – Mimi Hui
8-Mr Madru or Ms. Durso will lead the Q&A session.
9- Ms. Durso will conclude the program.
- We agreed to have a post program email, reminding attendees about Trustee 201 on October 29th, and will include attendee’s continuing education certificates.
- We all agreed to sign-in at 6:30 PM on October 1st to handle any last minute preparations and/or questions.
- Trustee 201 discussion
- We decided on three topics for Trustee 201:
- The role of the Trustee in the Budget Process – Mr. Madru
- The importance of having a strategic plan, which will include how to defend against having to return funds. – Mr. Banick
- The importance of the Trustee being a participant in Board committees – Mr. Violano
- Each presenter will speak for 20 minutes and there will be a Q&A session at the end.
- New Business
No new business was discussed.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:15 AM
NEXT MEETING: Friday, October 2, 2020 at 10:00AM via Google Meet