Minutes_4-21-2020

Minutes_4-21-2020

< Back
image_pdfView PDFimage_printPrint Article

TRUSTEE DEVELOPMENT COMMITTEE
MINUTES
April 21, 2020 – 10:00AM
Conducted via Google Meet
Present: Mike Banick (Director, Millburn), Larry Bergmann (Trustee, Livingston) Kathy
Cannarozzi (Director, Rochelle Park), Patricia Durso (Executive Administrator, Allendale &
committee co-chairman), Jenifer May (Director, Secaucus), Tom Madru (Trustee, Park Ridge &
committee co-chairman), Darlene Swistock (BCCLS Liaison), and Mike Violano (Trustee,
Westwood), Peter Wendrychowicz (Trustee, Mahwah).
Absent: John Mongelli (Trustee, Ho-Ho-Kus)

  1. Call to Order & Introductions:
    The meeting was called to order at 10:17AM by Tom Madru.
  2. New Business:
  • Mr. Madru opened the meeting by asking that the agenda be dispensed with in order
    to address the email forwarded by Mr. Wendrychowicz. The email was an invitation
    to a webinar being held by the NJLTA on April 27th featuring a discussion of library
    labor law by Mr. Michael Cerone. Mr. Wendrychowicz noted that Mr. Cerone was
    being paid $800 by the NJLTA to lead a program similar to the one we were asking
    Mr. Ruderman to do. Mr. Banick stated that he felt that our program could
    complement the NJLTA program without duplicating it.
  • Mr. Banick had spoken earlier to Mr. Ruderman, who had asked whether the
    committee might be able to offer a slightly larger honorarium (the initial offer was for
    $300.) Mr. Ruderman envisioned the session as being primarily interactive Q&A for
    60-75 minutes.
  • After some discussion, the committee authorized Mr. Banick to go back to Mr.
    Ruderman and offer an honorarium of $500 while confirming other details regarding
    format, handouts and timing. Mr. Banick received confirmation of the updated
    honorarium from Mr. Ruderman near the end of this meeting.
  • The committee discussed the draft of the flyer that Ms. Swistock had created, and
    talked about adding “save the date” information for the next webinar in this series.
  • The committee agreed to develop questions to supplement those asked by
    participants. They also agreed that attendees should be asked to submit questions at
    the time of registration. Mr. Banick agreed to be the “on-screen” host of the event,
    which includes asking the questions posed by the attendees and committee. Ms.
    Cannarozzi also agreed to use her Zoom account to set up the meeting and to
    record it. The committee also discussed the distribution of CE credit forms and
    program evaluations electronically.
  • The committee then worked on planning the second webinar, which they scheduled
    tentatively for 11am on Wednesday, May 20th. Ms. Swistock proposed the title “What
    Is Your Pandemic Plan?: Preserving Library Funding and Support” The committee
    agreed that this title was perfect.
  • Ms. Swistock proposed creating a pandemic report for trustees and stakeholders to
    help directors provide updates on library procedures, programs and other critical
    information during the closure. The committee felt that this was a great idea, but that
    it should probably be referred to LAMP as it might dovetail with their efforts.
  • Mr. Madru made a motion to approve both the April 3rd and the April 14th minutes,
    with the correction that would add Mr. Hanson to the list of attendees at the April
    14th meeting. This was seconded by Mr. Bergmann and approved.
  1. Adjournment:
    The meeting was adjourned at 11:42AM.
    ACTION ITEMS:
  2. Mr. Banick will contact Mark Ruderman, a labor attorney who has previously presented
    on employment law and negotiations at NJLA, and will offer a $500 honorarium for the
    60-75 minute presentation/Q&A session he will give via Zoom at 11am on May 6th. Mr.
    Banick will also ask Mr. Ruderman for a short biography and a handout for attendees.
    He will report his findings back to the committee.
  3. Ms. Swistock will revise the flyer for our May 6th program to include a “save the date”
    announcement for the next webinar. She will also set up a registration link on Eventbrite.
  4. Ms. Cannarozzi will provide Zoom access for the webinar and record the session.
  5. Mr. Hanson will contact the leadership of MAIN and PALS Plus to extend the invitation to
    trustees in other parts of the state.
  6. Mr. Madru and Ms. Durso will establish a schedule of minute takers for the upcoming
    meetings.
    NEXT MEETING: Friday, May 1st at 10:00AM