Friends 2018-04-11 Minutes
BCCLS Friends Committee
4/11/18, 9:30 am, Glen Rock Public Library
Present: Ellen O’Keefe, Glen Rock; Darlene Swistock; Lynn Kloss, Teaneck; Georgene Betterbed, Glen Rock; Robin Rockman, Oradell; Jeanne Sylvestrer, Nutley; Emiliana Tuohey, Fair Lawn.
A motion to approve the minutes from March 23, 2018 was made by Jeanne and seconded by Robin. Approved unanimously.
Ellen sent out “Save the Date” email on Monday, April 9 for “Build Your Capital Campaign Workshop and Evenbrite registration link and Friends information for next “Friends Focus” newsletter.
Build Your Capital Campaign Workshop
Wednesday, June 6, 9:30 – 11:30 am at the Maywood Public Library
Lynn said Peter Wendrychowicz, Mahwah Trustee, would not be able to speak at this event. Committee then discussed having Bob Van Langen, past chair of Glen Rock’s Capital Campaign (2004-5) be the main speaker and have panels afterward. Lynn suggested we have Larry Berkmann from Livingston as a panelist. Maybe having a panelist from Oradell Public Library. Robin said she will look into it. Georgene will send Bob Van Langen “Build Your Capital Campaign” outline for his input after 4/18 so that we can finalize before May 21st. Committee discussed collecting questions through the BCCLS Friends email (email@example.com) and Lynn volunteered to look over the questions we collect.
The committee agreed on this Workshop Itinerary:
9:30 am: Light refreshments and coffee
10:00 – 10:15 am: Panel Introduction
10:15 – 10:45 am: Bob Van Langen – Keynote with Georgene Betterbed supporting
10:45 – 11:30 am: Panel Q & A
Committee talked about a budget for the refreshments. Maybe trying to get Starbucks to donate coffee or other coffee places to donate their coffee. Darlene said maybe going to Costco instead of Maywood Deli for food and water, plates and cups. Robin volunteered to go to Costco and take a look at what they have. Jeanne said maybe other libraries have coffee urns that we can borrow to make coffee. Emiliana said she might have an urn.
Emiliana will design a one page program for the workshop including this information:
- Program Itinerary
- Upcoming BCCLS Friends events
- Save the date for Friends Scholarship Breakfast on October 23rd
- Labor Swap between Friends Groups
Ellen will send out an email May7th with this information:
- Build Your Capital Campaign with registration link
- Friends Scholarship Breakfast date and requests for baskets
- May & June Friends Events
- Survey for potential “Labor Swap” between Friends
Darlene discussed with committee a partnership with other local Friends groups. Having a “labor swap” where local Friends groups would volunteer for each other’s events. Friends groups would list their events (book sales, mini golf, etc.) It would be a “come help out and learn” from each other. It would be a great way for local groups to help each other out for different events.
Setting up a “Friends Labor Swap” on Google Docs for all the groups.
Friends Scholarship Breakfast
Tuesday, October 23 at Seasons in Washington Township
- Asking Seasons to confirm how many people they can accommodate.
- Add special food (gluten or vegan) to the RSVP.
- Jeanne will work with Seasons for special menu (gluten, vegan).
- Selling tickets for $45 per person.
- Harlan Coben would be guest speaker.
- Ellen will send out “Save the Date” info with May 7th Friends Focus. Georgene asked to add “Limited Seating” on the “Save the Date.”
- About 40 tables; will need to confirm capacity with Seasons.
- Adding more free door prizes and more tables for auction.
- Start asking for donations of baskets for Silent Auction. Darlene will ask at System Council meeting for donations of baskets, re-gifts, etc.
- Darlene suggested to ask the Scholarship Committee and teens volunteers to help put together centerpieces, bookmarks or whatever is needed for breakfast.
- Centerpieces: John Blackman, a Glen Rock Friend of the Library will teach interested Committee members how to make origami flowers for the centerpieces May 23 at Glen Rock Library.
- Materials needed for centerpieces: 2×4 size book pages, wires, white florist tape, thin cloth covered wire, and a Fiskar paper crimper.
- Asking Reporter Lynn Bruggeman to attend and write about the scholarship breakfast.
- Asking other libraries to help with printing bookmarks, bid sheets, coben book covers for centerpieces and brochure insert.
- Emiliana will set up brochure program, bookmarks, inserts.
Meeting adjourned at 11:30 am.
Next Committee Meeting
Friday, May 4, 9:30 am at Glen Rock Public Library
Submitted by Emiliana Tuohey, Fair Lawn