Friends 10-13-17 Agenda & Minutes
BCCLS Friends of the Library Committee Agenda
Friday, October 13, 9:30 – 11:00 am
Glen Rock Public Library
Approve September 8, 2017 Meeting Minutes
Final Stretch to Breakfast
- Bookmarks/candy attaching
- Monday @ Seasons: prep session 2-5 pm; bring centerpieces, baskets
- Breakfast Timeline
- Baskets & bid sheets
December 5 Advocacy Event-“What Friends Can Do”
- Raphael attending our meeting?
Friday, November 3, 9:30 am, Hasbrouck Heights PL
BCCLS Friends Committee Minutes
10.13.2017, 9:30 am
The meeting took place at Glen Rock Public Library
Present: Darlene Swistock, BCCLS, Georgene Betterbed, Glen Rock; Lynn Kloss, Teaneck; Ellen O’Keefe, Glen Rock; Emiliana Tuohe,, Fair Lawn; Jeanne Sylvester, Nutley
Minutes: The minutes of the September 8 meeting were approved with minor corrections.
Camille will be stepping away from the Committee, effective immediately, due to health reasons. Ella will be stepping down as of year’s end to focus on Englewood Library and retirement. We thanked both Camille and Ella for their contributions. They will be missed.
Final Stretch to the Breakfast
- Prep at Seasons: from 2-5pm. Set up tables, arrange centerpieces and bookmarks on tables, set up basket tables
- Event Timeline
- Welcome: Ellen: Ask for anniversaries and milestones to be announced. Invite attendees to look at and bid on baskets while during breakfast.
- Pat Tumulty: 5 minutes
- Kurt Haedler: 3 minutes (Suggest he thank Friends and emphasize that their support is critical.)
- Marie: 5 minutes
- John Trause: 3 minutes; Genesis Jais: 5 minutes
Ask all present and past Scholarship Winners to stand and be applauded.
- Daragh: 30 seconds to introduce Raphael; Raphael to speak for 15 minutes (Daragh to monitor time.)
- After speech, Ellen to announce bidding on baskets will close in 5 minutes. Then, committee members will look at their assigned bid sheets and highlight winners.
- Door prize drawing.
Centerpieces: If you have a white ticket taped under your chair, you win!
Pay for baskets.
- Event To-Dos
- Ellen to check on VIPs (major elected officials) and timing for presentation of check (does presenter have to leave early?)
- Ask 2-3 Friends groups to speak for 5-7 minutes about advocacy: maybe Glen Rock, Oradell, and Leonia; Robin: how West Orange Friends reinvented the group; Fair Lawn: Emiliana: ask a current college student who was a member of the Teen Advisory Council to speak about getting young people to volunteer and get community-service credit
Possible additional topics:
Cultivating municipal stakeholders and Board of Ed
Getting Library Board to attend Friends meetings
Having Friends at budget presentation to town councils
- Highlighter Crew” (Robin, Jeanne, Emiliana, Georgene, Ella, and Lynn) to monitor 5-6 baskets each to make sure all are being bid on and that the bids are in line with starting bids. Any orphaned baskets to be adopted by committee.
- Ask basket donors for an estimated value of each basket and an opening bid.
- Create labels with library name and contents of each basket.
- Create labels for (5) door prizes.
December 5 Advocacy Event
Set-up at 9:30, guests arrive at 10; event to begin at 10:30 and end at 11:30.
Raphael will be asked to attend the November 3rd meeting. Daragh will ask him to send bullet points of his talk beforehand, which will be used to create a handout. Jeanne will assemble additional content, including links to resources and the ALA site. She will send this info to Emiliana, who will work her design magic.
Friday, November 3, Hasbrouck Heights PL, 9:30 am