Friends 04-21-17 Agenda & Minutes
BCCLS Friends of the Library Committee Agenda
Friday, April 7, 1-3 pm
Maywood Public Library
1. Approve Minutes from 2/17/17 Meeting
2. Old Business
Review March 8 Fundraisers & Friendraisers
3. New Business
Performers’ Showcase, Thursday, May 4, 10 am-12:30 pm
Scheduling of performers
Food for performers and attendees
Set up logistics
4. Next meeting date
In our future
· Tuesday, October 24-Friends Breakfast
· Wednesday, December 5 (Snow date is December 6) 10 am-12 noon, Hasbrouck Heights PL, topic to be determined.
BCCLS Friends Committee Meeting
Friday, April 21, 2017
Glen Rock Public Library – 10 am
Present: Ellen O’Keefe, Chair – Glen Rock
Camille Valentino- Emerson
Emiliana Tuohey – FairLawn
Daragh O’ Connor – River Edge
Darlene Swistock – BCCLS
Robin Rockman- Oradell
Georgene Betterbed – Glen Rock Friends
Ella Urdang – Englewood Friends
The Minutes of the April 7 meeting were read. Emiliana moved that they be approved; Ella seconded it. They were passed unanimously.
The primary objective for this meeting was to plan the Performers Showcase which is scheduled for Thursday, May 4 at the Maywood Public Library. Relevant topics included:
- The list of performers – possible addition of one or two more –
a Frank Sinatra impersonator and Dr. Dubious
- The resource list which Camille is preparing to be available to all attendees –
a confirmation time of April 25 at 4 pm was agreed upon –
list will include blurbs about each performer,
info about the BCCLS committee, and save the dates for subsequent events.
- The person who invited each artist should confirm their attendance and find out if they will be there for breakfast and lunch. This should be done by May 1.
- Links and registration notice should go out to possible attendees on April 21 and May 1.
- Food will be ordered in Maywood by Darlene and Ellen. Daragh will pick up breakfast, and lunch will be delivered.
- We will try to have the room set up the previous evening. On the day of the event, all members of the committee should arrive by 8:30 am . Specific assignments include Georgene in the green room, and Emiliana setting up exterior signage and balloons to be purchased by Ellen.
- Bags will be provided for the artists’ flyers which will be decorated with either a BCCLS stamp or label. Georgene will look into the white bags and stamp.
- Collating day will be May 2 at the BCCLS office . Robin and Ella volunteered.
The Friends Breakfast for October, 2017 was discussed. There was general agreement that it would be difficult for any speaker to follow Bill Ervolino. The two major strands of the discussion for speakers were authors and library advocates. Authors discussed were Harlan Coban who we agreed was well – know, a resident of NJ and a good speaker. Georgene has heard him and will try to contact him. Erin Shack of Oradell was also discussed and described as young and charismatic.
The discussion of library advocates who might be invited to speak included Rosemary Hecht, former Mayor of Hasbrouck Heights who worked actively with Governor Whitman to fund library buildings , Freeholder Tracy Zur,a library advocate, and Gordon Johnson, Assemblyman and author of current bill to allow communities to increase library funding.
Another possibility for the Breakfast was for the three Friends consultants to the committee, Georgene, Lynn and Ell, to present a synthesis of good ideas from previous meetings.
We also discussed the pricing of baskets for the silent auction. Guidelines should include starting bids 10% or 15% below estimated retail and encouraging donations from local businesses.
In subsequent meetings, we will plan the December program.
The next committee meeting will be on June 9 at 10 am in the Englewood Public Library.
The site has been confirmed.