eBCCLS Collection Development Policy
eBCCLS Collection Development Policy
1. Mission Statement
1.1. Mission Statement of BCCLS
We empower our member libraries. Through cost-effective resource sharing, mindful innovation, and a commitment to collaboration, BCCLS provides a dynamic common framework made stronger by the uniqueness of its member libraries.
1.1.1. Cost-effective resource sharing
Shared digital collections are created through pooling of monies that are expended by centralized staff with a focus on meeting the needs of the collective population of our service area. We believe this creates the most effective use of time and resources in service to each collection. We will not attempt to tailor collections to individual titles aimed at individual libraries through this service.
1.1.2. Mindful Innovation
Centralized collections will strive to consistently seek new channels for acquisition of materials in service to the collective. This will include an annual report to the membership/participants regarding collection and platform opportunities.
1.1.3. Commitment to Collaboration
All materials that are collected through Centralized Collections are shared in accordance with By-Laws and Policies & Procedures without exception.
1.2. Centralized Collections
BCCLS provides centralized collections through membership decision at system council as either a consortium wide budget decision or an authorized pass through opportunity made available to members. Centralized Collections – regardless of type – will follow an approved Collection Policy and also the following guidelines.
2. Responsibility for selection
2.1. BCCLS will employ a BCCLS staff librarian who will work with identified aggregators selected from member libraries to provide collection development under the direction of the BCCLS Executive Director who is responsible ultimately for selection. Participant libraries should ensure that their boards understand and policies reflect this collection agreement.
2.2. Responsibilities of BCCLS staff librarian
- Manages and expends the digital acquisitions budget and produces financial reports that clearly track monies allocated, encumbered and expended for different types of collections and subject areas
- Manages all activities involved in ordering, receiving, and platform management for centralized digital materials
- Ensures the review of current and prospective vendors to assess service and pricing, renegotiating discount/pricing structures with appropriate vendors
2.3. Responsibilities of the aggregator(s)
- Selects digital materials for eBCCLS in compliance with eBCCLS Collection Development Policy
3. Challenge procedures
3.1. Procedures for Challenged Material
In the unlikely event that material that is collected and distributed through Centralized Collections is challenged, the following procedures will be followed to assess the decision to keep or withdraw the material.
- Patron is requested to fill out Challenge Form
- Challenge Form is forwarded to Administrative Assistant at BCCLS Office
- Administrative Assistant forwards the Challenge Form to appropriate BCCLS staff for review and response
- Appropriate BCCLS staff provides Patron with analysis of how material meets appropriate Collection Policy and contact information for Executive Director should Patron wish to appeal the decision
- Upon contact from Patron to continue challenge, Executive Director will review material based on eBCCLS Collection Development Policy and make a decision to either remove material from collection OR respond to patron with further analysis of how the material meets eBCCLS Collection Development Policy with information of final appeal
- Final appeal will be referred to Executive Board of BCCLS who will determine if material meets eBCCLS Collection Development Policy
- Executive Board will inform Patron of final decision
4. Selection Criteria
4.1. Selection and acquisition of the Digital Collections must comply with BCCLS Policies and Procedures.
4.2. Digital Formats are selected based on platform provided. Platforms are reviewed on an annual basis on a cost and quality basis by BCCLS staff.
4.3. Collection Standards
- BCCLS staff librarian will purchase to maintain an approximate 5 to 1 holds ratio in the shared collection with holdings up to a limit decided on an annual basis by the Executive Director in consultation with the appropriate committee
- All other purchases must meet three (3) out of four (4) criteria
- Materials reflect the current, popular trends typically reflected in Bestseller lists or fall under a subject or series where there has previously been high demand
- Materials are well-reviewed or award-winning
- Street date of materials should not be older than one (1) calendar year prior to purchase year
- Materials have broad appeal within the BCCLS service area
4.3.2. Exemptions to Criteria
Requests for exemptions to purchasing material outside of the eBCCLS Collection Development Policy can be submitted by staff in member libraries or aggregators to the Executive Director for consideration. These requests will be evaluated using the current mission of the consortium and relative benefit to the shared collection.