2019.04.24 F&T (Friends) Minutes
BCCLS Friends and Trustees Committee Meeting Minutes
4/24/2019 2:00 p.m.
BCCLS Headquarters, Fair Lawn
Present: Jeanne Sylvester, Nutley, Darlene Swistock, BCCLS, Ellen O’Keefe, Glen Rock, Georgene Betterbed, Glen Rock Friends, Emiliana Tuohey, Fair Lawn, Lynn Kloss, Teaneck Friends, Jenifer May, Secaucus, Tom Madru, Park Ridge Trustee
The minutes of April 4 were approved.
Discussion of next F & T event: Foundations 101 on June 11 at New Milford Library
- Ben Cohen of Maplewood is only committed speaker, waiting on someone from Montclair and Rutherford.
- List of topics for speakers at event: 1-Definition of Foundation-vs Friends, 2-Why-have a Foundation if there is a Friends group, 3-Why have Foundation is there is NO Friends group, 4-How to get started in creating a Foundation, 5-WHO should be on the Foundation board, 6-Do’s and Don’t’s of a successful Foundation
- Will get samples of handouts from the presenters for distribution. Ellen requested refreshment budget from BCCLS
Timeline for sending out constant contact emails for Foundations 101 event:
- 4/29 Save the Date, May 15 Registration, Final call June 3
Discussion of the joint email list for Friends and Trustees Committee members. Members of the Committee will receive all emails regarding Friends and/or Trustee tailored events. We are all welcome to attend these events and/or meetings, but are not required to.
Friends Focus Newsletter-being taken over by Lynn and Jen
- Call for content to go out April 29, deadline May 13
- Friends Focus to go out May 28
- Will include a Save the Date! Friends’ Breakfast
Friends’ Breakfast: October 22 at Seasons in Washington Township a.
- Ellen is waiting to hear from an author to be keynote-by May 15. If this isn’t successful Georgene or Jeanne will reach out to another.
- Cut off date for registration will be Oct 1st FIRM!
- AD JOURNAL for Scholarship Breakfast
- Jeanne, Emiliana and Lynn on this subcommittee and will seek a person from the scholarship committee to join them and another committee member;.
- Discussion of advertisers-WHO? Possibly BCCLS vendors, large library vendors, community partners, and Family & Friends of Scholarship winners will be targeted.
- Darlene will contact O’Shea printing to get details on formatting, Images, etc to incorporate into the solicitation letter and pricing was discussed: $125 half page, $200 full page, $300 covers.
- Jenifer will email Jeanne and Emiliana sample AD JOURNAL, solicitation letter and invoice from a recent event by the Friends of the Secaucus PL.
- A BCCLS Friends group may be willing to be sponsor of event and involved with obtaining the raffle license, due to lots of interest from BCCLS libraries.
Next meeting will be Thursday, May 23, 11:30 am Brown Bag lunch at Glen Rock PL
Submitted by Jeanne Sylvester, Nutley Public Library