Minutes of BERGEN COUNTY COOPERATIVE LIBRARY SYSTEM
SYSTEM COUNCIL 10/15/2015 – Franklin Lakes Library
PRESIDING: Len LoPinto, Paramus
NOT PRESENT: Dumont, Midland Park, North Arlington, North Bergen, Roseland, Saddle Brook, Upper Saddle River
Sign-in sheet is at the BCCLS office attached to the minutes.
- Call to Order: Len LoPinto called the meeting to order at 10:00.
- Minutes of Previous Meeting: MOTION: There being no additions or corrections to the September minutes, they will stand as written.
- Public Portion: Executive Director Marie Coughlin introduced Board of Chosen Freeholder Tracy Silna Zur to the membership – a wonderful advocate for libraries. She noted that the County Grant has been increased this year from $125,000 to $150,000. Freeholder Zur commented on the amazing accomplishments of BCCLS libraries in sharing resources throughout the system and her admiration for the Franklin Lakes Library – her hometown library. To a round of applause, she presented the County Grant check on behalf of the Board of Chosen Freeholders and the County Executive to Marie Coughlin.
- Treasurer’s Report: Mimi Presented the August and September P&L reports. No questions.
Of the 2015 Budget of $3,278,405 3,176,741 has been received
leaving a balance of 101,664 Total Expenses 2,725,016
leaving a balance of -553,389 NJ Cash Management 740,530
Checking Account 92,865 Scholarship 38,836
It was noted that the financial reports have been filed for audit.
Proposed 2016 Budget/Rate Card: MOTION: Mimi Hui moved that the proposed 2016 Budget and Rate Card be approved by the membership. John Trause seconded. All in favor; 4 opposed; 1 abstention. Motion Carried.
- President’s Report: Len LoPinto thanked the membership for allowing him to serve as BCCLS President. He thanked Executive Board members for their service and extended kudos to BCCLS’ committees and staff for the various programs, workshops, and initiatives developed this year. At this point, Len LoPinto introduced and welcomed new directors: Margaret Mellet/Wood-Ridge; Maureen Cuschieri/Norwood; Laura Leonard/Wyckoff; Allison Moonitz/Bergenfield and Acting Director Kate Nafz/Fair Lawn.
He listed the incoming 2016 Executive Board members – Edna Ortega/Demarest; David Marks/Haworth; Dave Franz/Hillsdale; David Hinkley/Montclair; Daragh O’Connor/River Edge; Christopher Lee/Roseland; Gina Webb-Metz/Tenafly; Kelly Fitzgerald/Weehawken; Lyndhurst and Park Ridge Trustees. A joint meeting of the 2015/2016 Executive Board members will be held on Wednesday, November 18 @ the BCCLS office.
- Election – BCCLS President: Marie Coughlin explained the balloting procedure for President and that among incoming 2016 Executive Board members, only Len LoPinto agreed to run. Therefore, Len LoPinto will serve as BCCLS President in 2016. MOTION: Marie Coughlin as the Secretary of the organization cast one vote for the unanimous selection of Len LoPinto as 2016 President. Dave Franz seconded. Motion carried.
- Executive Director’s Report: Marie Coughlin’s monthly report (copy attached) was distributed to the membership earlier. She mentioned the round of System Council, Executive Board, and Small Group meetings she attended throughout her first year and thanked the membership for their support, feedback and assistance. In response to a question from Nancy Greene about a proposed $125M state-wide library construction bond, Amy Babcock-Landry responded that the bill is stalled in committee. She will send the membership a link to the legislation. In response to a question from Dave Franz about the strategic planning process, Ms. Coughlin replied that she is devising a survey to get input and feedback from directors, will solicit task force members when the committee assignment email is sent to the membership, and will schedule small group meetings shortly after introduction. Len LoPinto urged directors to encourage staff members to join BCCLS committees
- Committee Reports: Len LoPinto asked for any additional reporting to add to the committee reports distributed to the membership earlier.
Public Relations – Co-chair Donna Perkosky reported that the committee has taken on the project of translating a shortened version of the BCCLS brochure into Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Spanish and Russian at no cost to BCCLS. The translators are native speakers and work in BCCLS libraries.
Advocacy Services – Nancy Greene mentioned an appearance by Michael Cerone, Esq. at the Ridgewood Library and commented on the 1/3rd of a mill legal maximum.
- Old Business: Bylaws Revision Section 2. Executive Board
MOTION: John Trause made a motion to accept the Bylaws Revision introduced on September 17, 2015. Mary Romance seconded. At the conclusion of a discussion about revising the Bylaws as part of the strategic plan, the membership survey conducted by the committee, the organizational and governance issues involved in amending the Bylaws, incremental and radical changes, an all-elected Executive Board, the pros and cons of the rotational groupings, institutional memory, tabling or amending the motion on the floor, Terrie McColl called the question. 7 in favor, 61 opposed, 2 abstentions, Motion defeated.
- New Business: None
- Membership Hearing: Hoboken Library Director Lina Podles spoke about the 125th Anniversary celebration of the library and West Caldwell Library Director Samantha McCoy spoke about their 100th Anniversary celebration. Both invited the membership to participate in the celebrations. Hawthorne Director Monica Smith mentioned that she started as a page at the Franklin Lakes Library in 1980; Allendale Director Mary Romance commented on the event honoring their Friends of the Library on October 23; Franklin Lakes Director Gerry McMahon invited the membership to visit the new Technology lab; and Len LoPinto announced that the Paramus Library will undergo a total remodeling commencing in February 2016.
- Date and Place of Next Meeting: TBD
- Adjournment: 10:55 a.m.
Last Updated On