03.12.20 – EB Meeting Minutes
Committees & Task Forces
EXECUTIVE BOARD MINUTES
BERGEN COUNTY COOPERATIVE LIBRARY SYSTEM
March 12, 2020
Stephanie Bellucci Cliffside Park
David Hanson, BCCLS
Catherine Shaw, Trustee, Allendale
Paige Soltano, Trustee, Fort Lee
Ellen O’Keefe, Glen Rock
Gretchen Kaser Corsillo, Ho-Ho-Kus
Amy Babcock-Landry, Livingston
Sai Rao, North Bergen
Terrie McColl, New Milford
Matthew Latham, Ramsey
Laura Leonard, Wyckoff
Gerry McMahon, Franklin Lakes
Darlene Swistock, Recorder of Minutes
A list of the guests is attached to the minutes in the BCCLS office
- Call to Order Stephanie Bellucci called the virtual meeting to order at 10:36 am. She thanked the board for participating on short notice, asked everyone to log in with their name and library, and to raise their hand to ask questions via the chat.
- Public Portion None
- Response to COVID-19 a. Personnel Updates Dave Hanson advised that most BCCLS office administrative staff are working remotely. A small skeleton crew will remain at the BCCLS office to take care of dayto-day functions. The office is waiting for further news from the person who may have been exposed to COVID-19, but the risk is very low. It is anticipated that the office will resume full activities on Wednesday, March 18. Delivery to the membership has been unaffected.
b. Rescheduling and cancelling BCCLS meetings and events All in-person meetings have been suspended through March 31. Stephanie Bellucci will advise the committee chairs and work with Joseph Palmer regarding alternate ways for the committees to communicate. Matt Latham suggested conference calls and Google docs.
c. Library Closings – Impact on reciprocal borrowing and delivery At the time of the meeting, Tenafly and Paramus decided to close to the public. Staff will be working, filling holds and accepting delivery, but patrons cannot pick items up at those libraries. If other libraries remain open and patrons request to pick items up at neighboring libraries, this will place a greater burden on the libraries that remain open.
It was MOVED BY: Ellen O’Keefe Seconded by: Sai Rao To turn off lend and send if a library is closed. All in favor. Motion carried.
All directors will be advised of this via email.
d. Delivery If libraries are staffed, but closed to the public for social distancing, they will still receive delivery. Otherwise, delivery will be decided on a case-by-case situation. Due dates will be coordinated based on when libraries are scheduled to re-open. Dave Hanson advised that if there are large-scale closings, the Delivery Task Force will need to determine how to handle delivery going forward.
4. Mandated vs Opt-In Services Task Force – Update Kurt Hadeler, chair, advised that the task force met to review all of BCCLS services, mandated and opt-in, under very strict criteria. He asked if the task force should continue to evaluate under very strict criteria or go back to the Strategic Plan or the Executive Board for additional guidance. The definition of sharing was one area that raised questions. In order to meet the deadline of the charges for the task force, an introduction at System Council would need to take place in March with a formal presentation in June. Members of the Executive Board felt this was an important topic with many items to consider and suggested the topic be tabled until it can receive the proper attention; deadlines would be adjusted accordingly.
5. Membership Hearing None
6. Next Meeting Executive Board: Wed 4/20/20 @ 9:30 am – Waldwick System Council: Thu 3/19/20 @ 9:30 am – Maywood – CANCELLED
7. Adjournment Stephanie Bellucci advised that the board may need to reconvene if there are more library closings.
It was MOVED by: Ellen O’Keefe Seconded by: Sai Rao to adjourn at 11:55 am. All in favor. Motion carried.