Minutes of BERGEN COUNTY COOPERATIVE LIBRARY SYSTEM
Executive Board August 26, 2015
PRESIDING: Len LoPinto Paramus
PRESENT: Christine Hartigan East Rutherford
Mimi Hui Hasbrouck Heights
Dave Franz Hillsdale
Marilyn DeMolli Lodi
Kurt Hadeler Mahwah
Chris Doto Park Ridge
Carol Shaw Wallington
Laura Rifkin Washington Township
Marie Coughlin BCCLS
Pat Loughnane BCCLS
GUEST: Eileen Karpoff
- Minutes of Previous Meeting: There being no additions or corrections to the minutes, they will stand as written. Motion carried.
- Public Portion: None
- Treasurer’s Report: Mimi Hui presented the June and July P&L Reports. Marie Coughlin responded to questions from Chris Doto about the Expense line items for Rent and Office Expenses. No further questions.
Of the 2015 Budget of 3,278,405 3,157,699 has been received
leaving a balance of -120,706 Total expenses 2,373,446
leaving a balance of -904,959 NJ Cash Management 1,165,530
Checking Account 37,142 Scholarship 38,836
Mr. LoPinto noted that the financial reports have been filed for audit.
- Correspondence: Letter dated July 2, 2015 to PALS Plus President Jody C. Treadway advising her that consideration of new membership requests will resume after implementation of a long-term strategic plan for BCCLS.
- President’s Report: Len LoPinto’s report was distributed to Board members earlier. He stressed the importance of directors attending the small group meetings to review the proposed 2016 budget. He mentioned that the membership will be asked to submit questions about the Treasurer’s Reports when the System Council packet is emailed so that correct answers can be rendered at the meeting.
- Executive Director’s Report: Marie Coughlin’s monthly report was distributed to Board members earlier. She recommended that Computer Center service changes be made effective Saturday, December 26 as the staff member who works a given Saturday is entitled to a day off during the week, generally the following Friday. It was pointed out that it is more beneficial for libraries to have the BCCLS office fully staffed Monday through Friday for increased availability for site visits. After reviewing the statistics on the number of inquiries during the week and on Saturday, Board members concurred with Ms. Coughlin’s recommendation that the computer center close on Saturdays and that technical staff and the Executive Director remain reachable on Saturdays via cell phone for urgent issues, as is the case during all other off-hours. She summarized the visit to the Board of Chosen Freeholder meeting on August 19, 2015 with Len LoPinto, Mimi Hui, Paramus Board President Betty Ralph and Ray Ralph. She hopes to arrange visits with specific Freeholders at their hometown libraries. Len LoPinto pointed out that he plans to meet with County Executive Tedesco about the County representative slot on the Executive Board. Mimi Hui extended kudos to Marie Coughlin for her expertise and positive outlook in addressing the Freeholders.
- Committee Reports:
Bylaws – Chair Eileen Karpoff submitted the attached Bylaws revision and new rotational list for approval by the Executive Board. She reported that as a result of the defeat of the proposed Bylaws change by the membership in May, the Committee surveyed the membership on various aspects of the defeated change in order to get a clearer picture of the direction in which the membership wished to proceed. She summarized the number of responses to the survey questions and pointed out that two-thirds of the membership present at System Council must approve any change in the Bylaws. It was noted that following past practice and at the direction of the BCCLS President, the Groups to start each of the four (4) rotations were pulled by Marie Coughlin and Arlene Sahraie – remaining libraries were then listed alphabetically in their Group. At this point, commentary took place on the current Executive Board Nominating procedure. Following further discussion about revising the proposed change to include a section on a director declining a rotation slot, the following action took place. MOTION: Dave Franz moved that the proposed Bylaws revision including an added section on declination of a rotation spot and new rotation list be sent to the membership for approval. Laura Rifkin seconded. On a voice vote, 7 Ayes; 1 Abstention; Motion carried.
Nominating – – Len LoPinto prefaced the discussion by noting that Chair Eileen Karpoff wrote to Directors in May asking them to think about serving BCCLS as a member of the Executive Board. She submitted the committee’s recommendation for election to the two At-Large seats on the 2016/2017 Executive Board: Jennifer Breuer, Glen Ridge; Daragh O’Connor, River Edge; Gina Webb-Metz, Tenafly; Laura Rifkin, Washington Township. At Len LoPinto’s suggestion, Ms. Karpoff gave a brief history of her participation on the Nominating Committee and explained the process by which committee members Sai Rao, Susan Meeske, Lori-Ann Quinn and she arrived at the list of candidates for consideration by the membership. Vote will take place at the September System Council meeting. All have agreed to run. MOTION: Marilyn DeMolli moved that the list of candidates for the two At-Large seats on the 2016/2017 Executive Board be sent to the membership. Mimi Hui seconded. On a voice vote, 7 Ayes; 1 Abstention; Motion carried.
At this point, Eileen Karpoff left the meeting and Len LoPinto expressed his thanks on behalf of the Executive Board to the Bylaws committee for all their hard work.
Policies & Procedures – Chair Jennifer Breuer submitted the attached policy recommendations to the Executive Board for approval. MOTION: Chris Doto moved that the committee’s recommendations be sent to the membership for approval. Kurt Hadeler seconded. Motion carried.
Supervisory Training Task Force – Laura Rifkin reported that task force members will meet on Thursday, August 27 to review 34 applications and select the 20 participants for the inaugural program.
eBCCLS Task Force – Marie Coughlin reported that the Hoopla download limit has been increased to 16 per cardholder per calendar month and that the vendor has made improvements in their accounting practices that will now enable us to allow any library interested in purchasing additional downloads for their patrons. Mahwah Library is our beta tester since early August; we are paying for their patrons’ first 16 downloads and Mahwah is being billed directly for downloads 17 through 30 each month. We will reassess in September to ensure there are no quirks with billing before the full rollout.
Friends of the Library – Mimi Hui advised that the next committee program will take place on September 16 at the Maplewood Library on Public Relations.
Personnel – – Laura Rifkin reported that the committee will meet in September to compile the 2015 Benefits survey. Salary survey results will be distributed next month.
Reciprocity Task Force – Dave Franz plans to schedule a meeting to review the net borrower assessment.
Technology – Kurt Hadeler reported that the committee will host Credit Cards in the Library Live Panel Discussion on September 24 at the Closter Library. Committee will also continue the Tech Talks for the remainder of the year.
Youth Services – Len LoPinto advised that the committee will host a Boot Camp on Serving Diverse Populations in the Digital Media Age on September 11 at the Ridgewood Library.
- Old Business: None
- New Business:
(1) Spire Group – Accounting Consultant Marie Coughlin advised that our auditor Dorfman Abrams Music recommended that a detailed look at the BCCLS financial procedures be done to ensure future viability of the organization. She summarized the attached proposal and recommended that the team from the Spire Group consisting of Judith Tutela and Danielle Perrello be retained for a range of 25-40 hours of work for a minimum of one month consulting work for a gross fee of anywhere between $3,375 and $5,500 with a maximum of $10,000 when out-of-pocket costs such as reproduction, postage, travel, etc. are factored in. Len LoPinto noted that it’s a worthwhile investment and Dave Franz remarked that written financial controls will be beneficial to future Executive Board members. MOTION: Kurt Hadeler moved that accountants from the Spire Group be retained for a maximum of $10,000 to assess current BCCLS financial practices; assist with the creation of a formal internal control and oversight process; make recommendations for improvements and advise on implementation of these improvements. Chris Hartigan seconded. On a voice vote, Motion carried.
At this point in the meeting, Board members took a 15 minutes recess.
(2) Proposed 2016 Budget & Rate Card – While Board members studied the proposed 2016 Budget and reviewed the Budget Narrative & Rate Card, Marie Coughlin reported that the overall budget is $200,000 higher than 2015. She advised that she negotiated a three-year contract for the SkyRiver proposal as opposed to the original five-year and that Innovative will honor the discounted price of $51,300 until the budget is approved in October. She pointed out that BCCLS will not renew National Newspapers, Career Cruising and Chili Fresh in 2016 which reflects a cost saving of $43,265. Len LoPinto commented that if we want all of the services BCCLS provides, fees will need to increase or further cuts will have to be made. Dave Franz remarked that a review of BCCLS billing for the past six years indicates that BCCLS billing has been flat. Marie Coughlin noted that the pre-payment discount is being phased out for 2016. After a thorough investigation, she determined that the discount has not been and is not a true discount. It was noted that we will restructure our billing practices so that our cash flow needs are met in early 2016. The new billing procedure will be determined after review, discussion, and feedback at the upcoming three small group meetings. The fee per Polaris Client share will be reassessed for the 2017 budget year and beyond. MOTION: Rifkin moved that the proposed 2016 Budget and Rate Card be referred to the membership for approval. Chris Hartigan seconded. On a voice vote, Motion carried.
- Membership Hearing: None
- Date of Next Meetings: 9/17 System Council @ Wyckoff; 10/15 System Council @ Franklin Lakes, 11/18 Joint 2015/2016 Executive Board @ BCCLS
- Closed Session: MOTION: Mimi Hui moved to go into closed session to discuss the six-month Executive Director evaluation. Dave Franz seconded. Motion carried.
MOTION: Kurt Hadeler moved to resume open session. Marilyn DeMolli seconded. Motion carried.
Len LoPinto advised that Marie Coughlin has successfully completed her probationary period and that at a future date to be determined the Executive Board Evaluation Committee will meet with her to discuss the six- month evaluation. MOTION: Dave Franz moved that Marie Coughlin has successfully completed her six-month probationary period and will continue in her position as the BCCLS Executive Director. Chris Hartigan seconded. Motion carried.
- Adjournment: 12:15 p.m.