Committees & Task Forces
BCCLS Trustee Development Committee
Friday, September 4,2020
Online via Zoom
Mike Banick – Director- Millburn
Larry Bergman – Trustee – Livingston
Patricia Durso – Executive Administrator – Allendale – Co-chair
Tom Madru – Trustee –Park Ridge – Co-Chair
Jennifer May – Director – Secaucus
John Mongolli –Trustee – Ho-Ho-Kus
Darlene Swistock – Executive Assistant – BCCLS
Mike Violano – Trustee- Westwood
Peter J. Wendrychowicz – Trustee – Mahwah
Call to Order:
The meeting was called to order at 10:01 a.m.
Motion Ms. Durso and seconded by Mr. Bergman – approved, as amended,
Abstain: Mr. Mongolli and Mr. Violano
- The committee finalized plans and presenters for our October 1st presentation “Trustee 101: A High Level Overview for New and Newer Trustees”
- The committee then moved on to a discussion of our October 29th presentation “Trustee 201: A Program for Seasoned Trustees”. The committee pointed out that attendance at Trustee 101 is not a prerequisite for attendance 201.
- While initially scheduled for October 15th, it was decided, because of possible Trustee meeting overload, to move the 201 presentation to Thursday, October 29.
- The committee proceeded to review the Trustee 201 topics and presenters: Trustee Role in Budget Process – Mr. Madru ; Analyzing Expenses, Chargebacks, Return of Funds – Mr.Banick; Under consideration: The Trustee Role in Director Evaluations –TBA . Mr. Wendrychowicz was to contact Pat Tumulty, Executive Director of NJLA to be the presenter.
- Topics “Structure of Meetings” and “Policy Development” were moved to Trustee 101. Friends and Foundations has been moved to a Possible Combined Program with Friends Committee.
- Eric and Mimi Hui would be invited to the meeting on October 25th.
- The committee began to look to possible new programs in January or February, what would be the topics, who would be the presenters, and, finally, what would be the financial constraints. Topic suggestions included Capital Planning, Strategic Planning, and a local libraries’ role in Community Master Planning.
- The committee also discussed whether to continue with a 301,401, and 501 format.
- September 25 @ 10:00 a.m.
- On a motion from Mr. Mongolli and a second from Mr. Bergman, The committee adjourned at 11:27 a.m.
Peter J. Wendrychowicz