Friends 2018-03-23 Agenda & Minutes
Committees & Task Forces
BCCLS Friends Committee Agenda
Friday, March 23, 2018
Glen Rock Public Library
- ”Building Your Capital Campaign,” in support of NJ Construction Bond Act
- October-Friends Breakfast: Georgene has been working on Harlan Coben!
- Set next meeting date?
BCCLS Friends Committee, Meeting Minutes
3/23/18, 10 am, Glen Rock Public Library
Present: Darlene Swistock, BCCLS; Emiliana Tuohey, Fair Lawn; Georgene Betterbed, Glen Rock; Ellen O’Keefe, Glen Rock.
The minutes from the February 9, 2018 were approved.
Build Your Capital Campaign Workshop
Wednesday, June 6, 9:30 – 11:30 am at the Maywood Public Library
- Speakers: Bob Van Langen, past chair of Glen Rock’s Capital Campaign (2004-5) and Peter Wendrychowicz, Mahwah Trustee, involved with that library’s fundraising.
- Outline to be sent to Bob and Peter for feedback.
- Registration email will include outline and request for audience question submissions before workshop emailed.
- Workshop Itinerary
- 9:30 am: All gather in main room for coffee
- 10:00 am: ½ of audience to move to another downstairs room (Darlene to confirm location) to hear one speaker; ½ will remain in main room for other speaker. Audience will write questions on note cards and submit to a committee member in each room.
- 10:30 am: Switch rooms
- 11:00 am: All gather in main room for general q & a (moderated); networking
- 11:30 am: Ends
Friends Focus e-newsletter
Next issue to be sent May 7th; request for content included in other emails from the Committee (content deadline will be Monday, April 30).
BCCLS Friends Breakfast, Tuesday, October 23, Seasons, Washington Twp.
- Georgene landed a major coup: Harlan Coben will be speaking at the Breakfast!
- Centerpieces: origami flowers made from book pages. Georgene is contacting Harlan’s office to see if permissible to use book his book covers in the centerpieces. John Blackman, a GR Friend of the Library (whose origami arrangement inspired this idea), is going to teach interested Committee members how to make these. The best month for John to teach is in May.
- Higher breakfast ticket price will be discussed.
- Alternate venues: Darlene to continue looking. Biaggio’s in Paramus quoted $54/pp. Much higher than Seasons ($37/pp).
- Gluten/Vegan menu options: Darlene will coordinate with a Committee member to be in charge of ensuring appropriate options are available. Guests will have to request this option at registration.
- Basket requests will be sent in mid-August.
Upcoming email campaigns:
Monday, April 9-Save the Date for Build Your Capital Campaign (include Eventbrite link) and submit Friends info for next Friends Focus by Monday, April 30;
Monday, April 23-Save the Date for Harlan Coben @ the Friends Breakfast, submit Friends info for next Friends Focus by Monday, April 30, Capital Campaign registration link. Will notify Pat Tumulty and appropriate NJLA chairs to avoid potential conflict (2017 date was moved for NJLA);
Monday, May 7-Spring/Summer Friends Focus-all of the above; response form for a “labor swap” between Friends.
Monday, May 21-Register for Build Your Capital Campaign (“deadline” is June 4);
Monday, June 4-Not too Late to register for Build Your Capital Campaign;
Mid-August: time to think about the Friends Breakfast, request for baskets.
Next Committee Meeting: Wednesday, April 11, 9:30 am, Glen Rock PL
Submitted by Ellen O’Keefe, Chair